Friday, December 4, 2009

The LOOOOVVVVEEEE Scale


I was having a conversation with my friend. He asked me where do we draw the line between "like" and "love"; "dislike" and "hate". In what proportions do they occur. When does dislike turn into hate and when does like turn into love? I had to think about this one. I don't actually hate anyone or anything. Hate is such a strong word and I leave no room for it in my vocabulary. I don't even really dislike that many things.


I am currently doing my MBA and in relating this to my Managerial Economics course, when defining the probability of some occurrence, it is important to use a scale that is universal. We must use a scale that is comparable across different cultures, points of views, demographics and so on. So we use percentages from 0% to 100%. For example: I can say that I think it is 30% likely that occurrence X will happen. 


So where do you draw the line between dislike and hate? As in, if dislike and hate were on one continuum, what are the proportions? After really thinking about it, I would say for me dislike would make up 100% leaving 0% for hate. Like I said, there is no room for H-A-T-E in my vocabulary. 


As for like and love, at first I said like was equal to 20% and love was equal to 80%. In the sense that 80% of the time I am expressing true love for something or someone. Within the 80% bucket, I love my mom 100%. The 20% "liking" is reserved for things that I don't LOVE but I do like:

-I like tomatoes
-I like runners
-I like forks (I love spoons)
-I like banjos 
-I like soothers


But then he asked me to consider that all things come from a place of love. In the sense that there is no "like" but only "love". 100%. All things come from love, just at varying intensities. If someone holds open the door for you, this act of kindness stems from love. You may not know them, but their actions project love for another being at some level or another.


So in the end, there is only love. 


(I LOVE forks)x(0.20)


What is your LOOOOVVVVEEEE scale? 




No comments:

Post a Comment